Here is my painting for September 7th – Day 7 (well, for me, it’s Day 2) of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge.
What I’m happy with:
- pretty much everything on the right side. Those pale colours with that thin outline really make me hum with satisfaction.
- the white highlights. SO much easier to do on any surface that is NOT paper.
What I’m less happy with:
- pretty much everything on the left side. The reference image is very calm, and I somehow made her look like she walked away from a bad fistfight (“you should see the OTHER guy!”).
What I’ve learned so far:
- because I have practically zero training in painting (and this despite the fact that I have a Fine Arts Degree – chew upon that, alma mater!), I’m a lot less comfortable making paintings that are, I dunno… paint forward? I forced myself to use the biggest brushes possible for as long as possible on this tiny panel, but I was happiest when I could take out the detail brush, or when I could apply the paint as if I was drawing.
- Slow-Dri Blending Gel really works. Bless you, Liquitex.
What was going through my mind practically all the way through:
- I suck at painting
- y’know, if I did this with Photoshop, it would come out AMAZING
See you tomorrow!